CAIRO, Saturday- The League of Arab States Council at the ministerial level rejected on Saturday the US-touted Mideast plan, known as the “deal of the century”, slamming it as an unjust plan that does not meet the minimum rights and aspirations of the Palestinian people.
In the final statement of an extraordinary session in Cairo, the Arab League’s Council affirmed refusal to deal with this unfair deal or to cooperate in any way with the US administration in implementing it.
The session discussed a joint Arab position to the so-called “deal of the century” revealed recently by US President Donald Trump in the presence of Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu.
The Arab foreign ministers stressed that the Arab Peace Initiative of 2002 is the minimum plan acceptable for achieving peace by ending the Israeli occupation of the entire Palestinian and Arab territories occupied in 1967, and establishing an independent and sovereign state of Palestine with East Jerusalem as its capital.
The ministers stressed the need for a just and agreed solution to the Palestinian refugee issue, in accordance with UN General Assembly Resolution 194 of 1948, stressing that normalization with Israel, the occupying power, will not take place until Israel accepts and implements the Arab peace initiative.
Earlier in the day, president Mahmoud Abbas said that he will never accept the annexation of Jerusalem to Israel.
“I will not go down in history as the man who soled our eternal capital,” President Abbas told the extraordinary meeting in Cairo.
In his speech, President Abbas reiterated the need to defy the US plan and prevent it from becoming the new terms of reference for negotiations, stressing that there is no place for this deal with all of its terms at the negotiating table.
Source: Palestinian News & Info Agency (WAFA)